Ideas, comments and philosophy of "reason", served up by myself ... maƮtre d', waiter, busboy and dishwasher.

Monday, October 09, 2006

Time


On Saturday night I went to the airport to pick up my inlaws who were dur in around 9:30 from Phillie. However once we arrived we realized the flight was delayed by over an hour. Feeling a little tired, I decided to have a nap on one of the lovely couches in one of the dimer areas of the terminal waiting area. After a short nap I woke up in a sudden start only to realize that I had experienced some acid reflux that had worked its way into my windpipe. It's like sucking puke into your lungs. Think about it, not so good. Anyways, I hurried to the "convenience store" kiosk to get a water in an effort to relieve this awful feeling. While I was getting my water there were a couple of people in front of me so I was purusing a Time mag while I waited. There was an article in this issue that caught my attention so I purchased it with the anticipation that I would be able to read it while awaiting my inlaws arrival.

This article will be interesting to both Cip and Cold Mo and I recommend you drop by your neighbourhood Chapters to have a read (it's not long). Wait, I just realized that When Not Seeing is Believing by Andrew Sullivan can be seen online. So I won't belabour much here other than to quote a quote of Andrews' and highly suggest you cruise on over to Time:

The 18th century German playwright Gotthold Lessing said it best. He prayed a simple prayer: "If God were to hold all Truth concealed in his right hand, and in his left hand only the steady and diligent drive for Truth, albeit with the proviso that I would always and forever err in the process, and to offer me the choice, I would with all humility take the left hand, and say, Father, I will take this--the pure Truth is for You alone."

That sentiment is as true now as it was more than two centuries ago when Lessing wrote it. Except now the very survival of our civilization may depend on it.

1 comment:

Cold Molasses said...

Awesome article. Weird how much the concept of "certainty" is coming up!

Good luck with that puke in the mouth thing!